photo Header_zps24cd14cd.png

4.02.2013

Yeast Free pt. 2: My Story

If you missed Part 1 of my yeast free discussion, go here! Today I simply want to tell you a little bit of my experience with the 30 day yeast free cleanse and why I never plan on going back to how I used to eat just 6 short weeks ago.
gluten-free, dairy-free biscuits
If you read my very first post on the yeast free cleanse, then you know that from the start I experienced a lot of positive changes; increased energy and alertness, weight loss, and a much reduced urge to snack. Getting these results after just one week was motivation enough to keep me going for the remainder of my 30 days! In those 30 days I ended up not cheating even once and losing 8 lbs. (That averages out to 2 lbs a week, people!) But there was an even greater benefit for me than all those combined.

Ever since middle school I've suffered from what I always thought was PMDD, but was never diagnosed because (a) my cycle was extremely irregular, and (b) it is simply something doctor's have been hesitant to diagnose until very recently. Without going into too much detail, this basically means that about a week before my period I experience intense emotional symptoms ranging from uncontrollable crying, to anger, to listlessness, to anxiety, etc., and then when my cycle does begin the pain is so intense that I vomit, pass out, or, on a good day, simply take enough painkillers to allow me to sleep through the cramps. Every month it's the same thing -- the tears and/or angry/anxiety before my period and then when it begins, spending the day shaking/sweating/vomiting from the severity of my pain. 

Obviously, this is not normal. But the crazy, most amazing thing happened while doing this cleanse....my period came and went with no emotional breakdowns and absolutely no pain! For the first time in 11 years, I experienced a normal, healthy menstrual cycle.

After that, I immediately made an appointment with a local, Naturopathic doctor to help me get to the bottom of this. She contradicted thoughts I've harbored for years. Turns out, I'm not weird, my body is not broken, and I don't have to live with the pain. I have a gluten and/or dairy intolerance that causes inflammation as well as disrupts the folic acid levels in my system. My body wasn't working correctly because of what I was putting into it, not because something already inside of me was broken.

That knowledge is overwhelming comforting.

Doctor's in the past always treated my symptoms rather than the underlying cause. You have irregular periods? Take birth control to regulate you. You experience severe mood swings? Let's change that prescription to Yaz. Your period causes you a lot of pain? Here's some extra strength ibuprofen. No one ever recommended a simple, lifestyle change such as adjusting my diet.

It's been two weeks since the conclusion of my 30 day cleanse and I feel better than ever. My energy levels are still up, my cravings are down, and I'm 11 lbs. lighter. To say the cleanse was a huge success for me would be an understatement, it was a life changer. As of now, I plan on sticking as closely as possible to my yeast free guidelines and when there is a special occasion, or I simply need a sweet treat, I will strive to create healthy, satisfying desserts and breads that are gluten and dairy free.

And, if those recipes turn out to be especially yummy, I'll share them with you.   :)

11 comments:

Cara said...

That is crazy! I am playing around with juicing right now (no carbs and only protein/veggies for dinner) and I have noticed the same thing.. my moods are more stable. I was in the same boat as you- I literally thought I was going crazy during PMS and I switched my birth control to a very low dose (loestrin) and it was like magic. That book I was telling you about, Wheat Belly, talks about yeast free and the bad things gluten really does to your body. Its crazy and this just shows how cutting it out does wonders.

Jane {In The Pink & Green} said...

Wow, that is awesome girl! I think that's so amazing that you've discovered a holistic way to help your body, I'm all for that. I totally agree that traditional docs are way too focused on treating the symptoms vs. the root cause...looking forward to hearing more about your experience!

Sarah Alway said...

Wow that is absolutely amazing! I really, really must try this. How wonderful to find out that it was just your diet causing all the problems, and not your body itself. You're healthy after all!

Katie said...

so happy for you! this is awesome!

Anonymous said...

It's fantastic that you found a doctor who listens and helps find the root of the problem, that's so difficult to do! I get horrible PMS/PMDD so this part of your story was especially interesting, thanks for sharing!

Jess said...

So happy to hear that it worked so well for you. You look absolutely stunning :)

Some Snapshots Blog
Jess

Kate Costello said...

Isn't it amazing what taking care of yourself and body does?! So much better than simply prescribing something!!!

Heather @ From Here to There said...

Thanks for sharing this!! I may have to try a yeast free cleanse! I have a question, if you feel comfortable answering, but my sister has had an irregular period for a while now and then she was put on birth control to help it and she's been an emotional wreck since she started. When you say you had irregular, does that mean that you had more than one period a month? She gets hers like twice a month and I'm wondering if she changed her diet in this way if that will help. I still may try it for myself though, sounds like a great change in a persons diet!

Faith said...

Wow! That is incredible! It's amazing to hear how something this simple has changed your life for the better. It makes me want to look into this. Very happy for you!

Holly said...

I'm intrigued by this yeast cleanse. I'm glad it created positive changes for you!

New follower from Wildcard.

http://holly-higgins.blogspot.com

A and B said...

So glad you are sharing this! I was thinking about going on the same type of cleanse and I'm glad to hear that it is working out well for you! PS. glad to find another Seattle blogger!!