photo Header_zps24cd14cd.png

3.21.2013

Yeast Free in 1, 2, 3...

To be honest, I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed because the yeast free cleanse was a HUGE success for me and there is so much information I want to share with you! I've decided the simplest way for me to do this is to divide my yeast free information overload into three different posts: (1) Guidelines and example meals, (2) my experience with the 30 day cleanse, and (3) Q&A session where I answer any questions about the cleanse and/or my results that you may have for me. 

So let's start with the basics.

Yeast. Yeast is a living fungus that thrives in moist, dark places where it can be provided with a constant food supply (i.e. your GI tract). Over the years, yeast cells being building up in your system and are multiplied every time you take a bite of sugary, over processed food. Luckily, we were all creatively designed with natural detoxify organs (your kidneys, mainly) that control the yeast levels by eliminating them as waste. However, some people have a hard time eliminating the yeast and it continues to build, clinging to the walls of your GI tract and making it harder for your body to absorb nutrients. Basically, you start feeling icky and you probably will begin to gain weigh. (Yeast rises, right? It makes sense a yeast filled belly will rise too.) To get rid of the yeast in your system not only do you have to eliminate yeast all together, but also you must eliminate its food source.
Yeast Free Guideline. (30 day cleanse) The following foods must be avoided during the cleanse.
For the first 2 weeks avoid:
-fruit
-butter

For the entire 30 days avoid:
-bread
-grains
-pastas
-dairy
-potatoes
-sugar
-alcohol
-vinegar (Only apple cider vinegar is allowed. I avoided all vinegars though.)

Sounds tough, huh? But the key is to focus on what you can have.
-meats
-vegetables
-eggs
-beans
-nuts and nut butter (no sugar added)
-coconut oil & olive oil
-coffee & tea
-natural sweeteners (like Stevia)

For a more in-depth list, go here!

Example Meals. A lot of people have asked what my day-to-day eating looks like now. I think you'll be surprised at the variety available even with such a restricted diet!

Breakfast. 
-eggs with turkey bacon or sausage (& oftentimes with avocado and/or tomato slices on the side)
-omelettes 
-chocolate protein shake: 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, 2 scoops peanut butter, 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond breeze, 5-7 ice cubes. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend!
-almond pancakes
(after two weeks a side of fruit can accompany any of these)
Lunch. This meal has the least variety because usually I eat leftovers from last night's dinner.
-tuna lettuce wraps (made with veganaise)
-salad with steak or chicken
-leftover dinner from the night before

Dinner.
-homemade chili
-salmon/tilapia/cod/chicken/steak/turkey patties (there are endless options for protein!!) with a sautéed vegetable melody
-eggplant stuffed with ground turkey and veggies
-lobster amandine
Snacks.
-veggies/hummus
-apples/peanut butter (all natural)
-fruit
-nuts

No worries, I plan on sharing the recipes for the stuffed eggplant and lobster amandine eventually! But for the sake of your attention span, and my day job, I think it's time to wrap up this post :-) (Sorry! I tried to make it as condensed as possible!)

I'd love to hear your thoughts/concerns/questions on the yeast free cleanse, so don't be shy! Leave a comment or email me directly! (email found here

*Please note I am not a doctor (obviously) nor do I have any medical training. I am simply sharing my personal experience with the yeast free cleanse.  

16 comments:

Unknown said...

How has this helped you (just curious as I am VERY interested!!)?

What are the effects if you discontinue this cleanse?

Cara said...

I have been reading this book called Wheat Belly and it is seriously the most eye opening thing I've ever read and I really want to try a gluten free diet. Do you feel like you had any headaches or anything the first week or 2? Do you think you will continue this or go back to eating yeast?

Helene said...

oh i have been wanting to try this! thank you so much for the step by step guide!!!

Jeneric Generation said...

I loooove this kind of stuff. I recently did a health/nutrition week on my blog and I had so much fun with it. I have never done this cleanse, but sugar and flour are definitely the devil, so I may have to look into this...

(P.S. I just saw you commented on my post today! We were both reading each other's blogs at the same time. I love it!)

Kotryna Bass said...

my dinner leftovers always becomes a midnight snack ;//

Sarah Sanville Photography said...

I did this diet about 9 years ago, except I did a 3 month version. The first few days were rough, but after that I settled down and got used to my new diet and felt wonderful! I'm thinking of doing it again soon.

Ashley said...

I am just about done mine!! Soo challenging!! Can't wait to o back to the naturopath and see if it worked!! I hate how strict it is!

Sarah Alway said...

I have lots of questions but I will save them for after your post #2 about your experience. Mainly I am wondering how you feel and did you lose any weight?

Michelle (michabella) said...

I've been wanting to do this but it just seems so overwhelming!!!

Unknown said...

I found out I´m doing exactly the same since New Year´s Eve, it´s called "10 weeks body change" over here in Germany. It´s a programme combined with some workout lessons twice a week. Although I lost "just" 6-8 lbs. during that time I feel much more comfortable with myself.

As the 10 weeks soon will be over I´m thinking about how to go on then. What will you do? Stay yeast-free or go back to normal? Or try to find a midway? I was thinking about 4 days yeast-free a week and 3 days more or less eat what I want. Although it´s not really hard for me to avoid the unallowed things. Bread is the only thing I really miss.

Looking forward to your next post!

All the best,
Bridget from bridyjourney.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

If I follow this, will Aunt Nancy lose weight and look terrific when I go to Todd's wedding in Sept in Aruba??

Megan | Freckled Italian said...

You can do it!!

Britt said...

The restrictions look quite Paleo. I do Paleo and it has done amazing things for my mind and body. Especially eliminating gluten and dairy. Hope you enjoy your results!

Lauren Nelson said...

Great post! Happy to report I'm one week strong with yeast free so far! And the best part is it means only one more week to fruit!!

Anne @ Cup of Caffeine said...

Thank you for posting this! I'm still trying to take the plunge into yeast free. I've entertained the idea since you've fist mentioned it. I'd love to hear more about your experience with the first 30 days.

k8te said...

wow, this makes so much sense with yeast living in your GI tract! never would have thought about it in those terms though. you make it seem totally doable, i may have to give it a try! :)