photo Header_zps24cd14cd.png

4.16.2013

Boston

Via
I was going to post a Paleo cookie recipe today, but obviously there are more important things going on in the world that we need to focus on than a cookie. It's sad how easily we forget. It seems to be in our nature to feel this hopelessness, sadness, despair, and possibly fear for only a short while, and then we quickly move on and begin complaining again about a lazy coworker or stressing over our weight or a bad haircut. I'm guilty of it too. 

We quickly forget the important things in life and then when tragedy strikes we point our fingers anywhere we can to find someone/something to blame. Why do you think we do that? Why must we have an object of derision? Why must every tragedy be the Republican's, Democrat's, North Korea's, God's, etc. fault? Is it because we fear that if our finger isn't pointed away from ourselves someone might dare to point their's at us? 

Deep down, I think we all feel a sense of obligation to one another --our fellow species. Why wouldn't we? Jesus said the second greatest commandment was to love one another, but the truth is day to day the average person doesn't do a very good job with following through on that one. 

Could you have prevented yesterday's tragedy in Boston? Of course not. That is not at all what I'm trying to convey. I think that we feel so violated by it because we have an obligation to one another and an innate protectiveness for our species. And to think that another human being(s) is behind this horrific event goes against everything in our nature and makes our blood boil. At least I know it does mine...

But then the blaming game begins, and well, that really doesn't get us anywhere. Instead, it's counterproductive as we waste time and energy hating a group of people instead of loving on the one's around us.

I guess all I'm trying to say is let's love one another and not waste another moment filling our hearts with hate. It's okay to feel sadness or even anger, but in a few weeks, when the sting fades, let's continue to love one another. 

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."
John 13:34

And let's be thankful for those brave ones who raced towards that explosion to give a helping hand.

I apologize for the heavy post. This message was laid on my heart yesterday and I just felt like posting on anything else would be a disservice to myself and my readers.  

5 comments:

Mrs Independent said...

I watched the coverage yesterday from my desk in Seattle, my heart breaking for my home state. 3000 miles away, my sister and her two kids were late to meet a friend at the finish line. When the bombs went off, she was two blocks away. Had she not been late, this comment I'm leaving would have been very different.

I have no idea how anyone could have watched the coverage yesterday and not been affected. Not as a Bostonian, but as a HUMAN.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

RED {Michelle} said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing. I too felt heavy-hearted but with the vision that we must surround ourselves with those that lift us up and will help keep our faith strong. I've tried to stay away from all the negativity surrounding yesterday and focus on sending positive thoughts and prayers.

Sarah Alway said...

Thank you for saying this. It's so easy to get caught up in hate and blame when tragedies occur. Can't stop thinking about Boston today...

LWLH said...

Couldn't agree more, my heart is heavy for Boston right now.