photo Header_zps24cd14cd.png

4.09.2013

Paleo Lemon Bars

I made these Paleo lemon bars for Easter and I'm not exaggerating when I say they were divine. Divine, people! This was my first experience with a Paleo dessert, and since then I have kinda been on a baking spree (if you follow me on Instagram you've seen evidence of this). If you're worried about making the switch to a Paleo/yeast-free lifestyle because you hate the thought of sacrificing taste, I encourage you to make these. I think you'll be surprised just how tasty being healthy can be.

This recipe is from the Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook. I doubled the ingredients below and used a 9x13 baking dish.  If you use the recipe below use an 8 inch baking dish.

Ingredients:
CRUST
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 tablespoons vanilla extract

FILLING
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

Directions:
- Preheat the over to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 inch baking dish with grapeseed oil.  
- To make the crust, combine the almond flour and salt in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk together the grapeseed oil, agave, and vanilla. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until thoroughly combined. Press the dough into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- While the crust is baking, combine the grapeseed oil, agave, eggs, and lemon juice in a blender. Process on high until smooth. 
- Remove the crust from the oven. Pour the topping evenly over the crust.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until topping is golden. Let cool for 30 minutes, then refrigerate for 2 hours to set. 
- Cut into bars and serve. 
Enjoy!

17 comments:

Megan | Freckled Italian said...

Agh these look AWESOME! I love lemon treats. Can't wait to make them!

Helene said...

omg paleo lemon bars?! never heard of such a thing! they look incredible!

Rachel said...

OOoohhh these look amazing! I will have to try these out!

Rustic Living said...

wow. these looks amazing Danielle! i will definitely have to give them a try. thanks!

Zoƫ said...

Lemon bars are my absolute favorite but I never thought to use almond flour for the crust! Making these immediately ;)

From Foothills to Fog said...

Those look/sound amazing! I love everything lemon! I just pinned the recipe so I can make them soon :)

Lacey in the City said...

Oh it sounds delish!!

Sarah Alway said...

The Paleo diet really overwhelms me... I had no idea you could bake desserts while on it! Yummy!

Anonymous said...

I am making these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ah!!!

A 1000 Words Photograhy said...

we have a nut allergy in our house. What could I use as a substitute for the almond flour?

Anonymous said...

Coconut flour is a great alternative to almond :)

Judy said...

http://butterbeliever.com/is-grapeseed-oil-healthy/ do believe I will use olive oil

LauraLee said...

Is there a paleo substitute that would work for the agave?

Unknown said...

I am just finishing baking these! I am a little leary of the turn out. The crust was very thick and still pretty crumbly putting it into the dish. I substituted almond flour for coconut flour (as I only had almond meal on hand). I also substituted honey for agave and limes for the lemon (hubby doesn't care for lemon). I didn't have enough grapeseed oil, so in the crust I substituted for olive oil. I will come back in 3 hours after it's cooled and let you know the turn out!

LauraLee said...

Ok so I tried it, following the recipe to a "T"...and I did not like it at all. :( I have never tried grapeseed or agave in cooking so not sure if it was my not liking that or what?

Unknown said...

Organic Maple syrup is a great substitute for agave. It's my go to dessert sweetener. Instead of grapeseed you can use coconut oil or evoo(which I used). I recommend adding a little arrowroot flour mixture. I'm eating them now I will definitely be having these again.

Unknown said...

I made these last night and just bit into them this afternoon - they are delicious! I made them exactly how the recipe calls for and they are perfect as is. I have heard that agave isn't technically paleo though, so next time I may try honey or maple syrup instead.