I've mentioned here and there that Steven and I were planning on doing a 30 day Yeast Free diet soon. Well, it has been one week and we're still going strong! In a nutshell, Yeast Free means no yeast (duh), grains, diary, sugar, or fermented drinks.
But it is a little bit more complicated than that even. You have to stay clear of fruit and butter for the first two weeks.
For a more in depth list of what you can and cannot eat, visit Steph's blog. You'll find links to helpful posts and yummy recipes. Plus, she's the one who inspired me to give Yeast Free a try, and I'm so thankful!
In just one week I've noticed the following benefits from being Yeast Free:
- Increased energy and alertness. I no longer feel super sluggish at work and have more energy when I get home in the evenings to work out, clean up the house, cook, or whatever is on my to-do list for the day!
- A feeling of fullness in between meals. This one is kinda crazy because I've always been a "snacker," but I've noticed that when I eat healthy, balanced meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner I am full until the next meal. My desire to snack while at work or watching TV in the evenings has almost disappeared altogether. Don't get me wrong, sometimes the urge still strikes and when it does I eat a healthy snack.
- Variety in my meals. Steven and I have had some of the best meals lately and they have all met our Yeast Free guidelines!
- Weight loss. I lost 5 lbs in 7 days. That's almost a pound a day!! Needless to say, I'm a happy camper.
Why Yeast Free is working for me?
To be honest, this is the first "diet" I've ever tried in my life. Why? Because I'm lazy! Diets make you count calories, or carbs, or even weigh your meat...no thanks! With Yeast Free there is no counting and no food scales. All I had to do was clean out my pantry of the foods we couldn't eat and stock up with the foods we can. Easy peasy.
That doesn't mean it's been a cake walk. (Mmmmm....cake. I want cake.) I still have my cravings. The hardest part for me has been the fact that I can't have my three morning cups of coffee with french vanilla creamer. YUM! (Doesn't that sound good?)
I'm not a huge fan of black coffee, so I have decided to give up coffee all together. And it. is. TOUGH. But I'm surviving. (Steven would probably say the hardest thing for him has been giving up beer.)
- Green tea with lemon. Never been a fan because I'd never tried it before ;)
- Peanut Butter. A few pieces of celery with peanut butter on them or just a dang spoonful of peanut butter by itself always hits the spot if I'm feeling like I may die of a sweet tooth craving.
Must be no sugar added! The only ingredients in this brand are peanuts and oil.
- Trying new delicious foods at dinner. It's almost like we're going out to eat and ordering something we've never had before!
Stuffed eggplant. DELISH!
All in all, Yeast Free for Me has been great!
I hope to give a weekly update on my progress (I promise I won't make it as long as this post though!), so be sure to check back next week! And if you have any questions feel free to ask!
Happy Tuesday, friends! =)