I don't know about you, but this time of year is always hard for me. The holidays are behind us and the next best thing to look forward to is Spring/Easter, which still feels like it's a million years away. Between here and there are no holidays, cold, snowy/rainy weather, and the mundane 8-5 grind.
Every. Single. Day.
It gets tiresome. And if I let it, the bitter cold and wind seeps into my body, giving me a matching bitter attitude. I feel exhausted and cranky and doodle stick figures of me and my hubby standing on a warm beach in the Hawaii sun...Okay, I don't do that last part.
Or maybe I do.
So today, I'm going to share with you my strategy for getting out of that mid-winter funk.
1. Buy Fresh Flowers. If everything outside seems dead, bring the life inside your home. Fresh flowers are not only beautiful, but they are fragrant --I figure I just may be able to trick my senses into thinking it's Spring!
Speaking of tricking your senses...
2. Light a candle. But stay away from scents that remind you of Christmas or Fall like Wintergreen or Pumpkin. I love the smell of anything apple in my kitchen --reminds me of fresh baked apple pie in the summer! Or try a citrus scent. Anything that will make your senses scream Spring!
3. Eat summer foods. Oftentimes, in the winter months we eat that comfort food --chili, baked potato soup, warm baked goods --and forget that we can get summer seasonal fruits and veggies this time of year too! Put some fresh strawberries on your french toast or throw some fresh fruit and nuts on your salad for work. Your taste buds will help you forget that Spring is still 3 months away.
4. Get Organized. Begin your Spring cleaning early! I don't know about you, but I am genuinely a happier person when I'm in a clean environment. Put your Christmas/winter decor away and tackle the organization system in your closet or that pile of mail that's been building in your office. Jumpstarting your Spring cleaning will not only make the process easier when the time does come, but you'll feel great knowing you've being productive rather than spending another evening in front of the TV.
I recently tackled the built-in shelving in our master bedroom. I procrastinated for about 8 months (oops..), but I finally decided to display some books and memories from our wedding and you know what? It felt great!
I also took down the Christmas decor on our fireplace mantel and attempted to make it Spring worthy.
5. Get in the kitchen. It's so easy to pick up some take out after work or grab a quick bite to eat in a drive-thru. The cold winter months have a tendency to make us inactive, but cooking your own meals are not only healthier and cheaper, but it's also a great time to spend with those you love. Cook dinner with your hubby or kids and then eat it together. At the kitchen table. Let me guess, your mind = blown.
But seriously, there is no better way to get out of the mid-winter funk than spending time with those you love.
Baked oatmeal recipe, here!
So tell me, how do you get out of that mid-winter funk??