photo Header_zps24cd14cd.png

1.29.2013

Getting Out of That Mid-Winter Funk

I don't know about you, but this time of year is always hard for me. The holidays are behind us and the next best thing to look forward to is Spring/Easter, which still feels like it's a million years away. Between here and there are no holidays, cold, snowy/rainy weather, and the mundane 8-5 grind. 

Every. Single. Day. 

It gets tiresome. And if I let it, the bitter cold and wind seeps into my body, giving me a matching bitter attitude. I feel exhausted and cranky and doodle stick figures of me and my hubby standing on a warm beach in the Hawaii sun...Okay, I don't do that last part. Or maybe I do.

So today, I'm going to share with you my strategy for getting out of that mid-winter funk.

1. Buy Fresh Flowers. If everything outside seems dead, bring the life inside your home. Fresh flowers are not only beautiful, but they are fragrant --I figure I just may be able to trick my senses into thinking it's Spring!
Speaking of tricking your senses... 

2. Light a candle. But stay away from scents that remind you of Christmas or Fall like Wintergreen or Pumpkin. I love the smell of anything apple in my kitchen --reminds me of fresh baked apple pie in the summer! Or try a citrus scent. Anything that will make your senses scream Spring!
3. Eat summer foods. Oftentimes, in the winter months we eat that comfort food --chili, baked potato soup, warm baked goods --and forget that we can get summer seasonal fruits and veggies this time of year too! Put some fresh strawberries on your french toast or throw some fresh fruit and nuts on your salad for work. Your taste buds will help you forget that Spring is still 3 months away.
4. Get Organized. Begin your Spring cleaning early! I don't know about you, but I am genuinely a happier person when I'm in a clean environment. Put your Christmas/winter decor away and tackle the organization system in your closet or that pile of mail that's been building in your office. Jumpstarting your Spring cleaning will not only make the process easier when the time does come, but you'll feel great knowing you've being productive rather than spending another evening in front of the TV.

I recently tackled the built-in shelving in our master bedroom. I procrastinated for about 8 months (oops..), but I finally decided to display some books and memories from our wedding and you know what? It felt great!

I also took down the Christmas decor on our fireplace mantel and attempted to make it Spring worthy.
 5. Get in the kitchen. It's so easy to pick up some take out after work or grab a quick bite to eat in a drive-thru. The cold winter months have a tendency to make us inactive, but cooking your own meals are not only healthier and cheaper, but it's also a great time to spend with those you love. Cook dinner with your hubby or kids and then eat it together. At the kitchen table. Let me guess, your mind = blown. 

But seriously, there is no better way to get out of the mid-winter funk than spending time with those you love.
Baked oatmeal recipe, here!

So tell me, how do you get out of that mid-winter funk??

14 comments:

Joey Hodges said...

Another great post, Danielle! I am right there with you about this being the toughest part of the year. January, in particular, is the LONGEST month to me. Thank goodness it's almost over! I just stocked back up on my favorite spring scents for my tart warmer! It definitely peps up my mood!

Corinne said...

I'm always one of those who suffers the 'January Blues'! And that baked oatmeal has now been put on my "must make" list!

Cara said...

Yes on the flowers! I love having fresh flowers around. Especially those cheap, gorgeous ones you get at the market!

Courtney said...

I love fresh flowers! They always make the room bright & cheery!

That oatmeal looks delish...gonna have to make that!

Kate Costello said...

I just brought home a whole bunch of fresh fruit!! It was a little crazy how excited I was about it =)

Anonymous said...

Good suggestions. I'm going to buy a few fake flowers because I have trouble keeping any alive inside.

Elizabeth said...

LOVE love your fireplace!!! so pretty.
i'm a new follower!
it is nice to be here :)

Anonymous said...

i am all about cleaning and organizing in january. and i really need to go get some flowers.

Kelly said...

These flowers are gorgeous and the strawberries look delicious! I found your blog through from the Keurig giveaway and I am so glad I did, I love it and I am now following you!

xx
Kelly
Sparkles and Shoes

Heather @ From Here to There said...

Those are some great ideas! Thanks for sharing!

littlemissundomestic said...

i couldn't agree more! this is a hard time of year for sure. I love your ideas! i was just thinking of a similar list :) i think i may have to go buy myself some flowers

LWLH said...

Agreed!
I need to get out of this winter funk and hopefully some of this will help.

Unknown said...

oh I love these!! Fresh flowers and candles make me feel SO much better!

Pamela said...

So cute! The baked oatmeal looks so good!!