1.11.2012

Baked Oatmeal

My life if crazy busy right now. I still haven't caught up on my to to list since returning from the east coast, and work has been really overwhelming since I've gotten back as well. My evenings are filled with running errands, taking care of Huck, and trying to keep the house clean. I haven't been able to relax at all since I've gotten back; I haven't really even had time to enjoy being newly engaged or think about possible wedding plans....

Yikes, growing up is no fun.

Luckily, I was able to make that baked oatmeal recipe this past weekend and it was SOOOO simple and tasty I had to set time aside to share it with you. My version is different from the picture in my previous post because a) Steven doesn't like bananas and b) I didn't have any walnuts.

So, here's what you'll be needing:


  • 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sliced strawberries
  • 1 cup of blueberries
  • 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375°F and  spray the inside of a 10-1/2 by 7 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, half the strawberries, half of the blueberries, and half the chocolate. (Save the other half of strawberries, blueberries and chocolate for the top of the oatmeal).
  3. In another large bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, butter and vanilla extract.
  4. Add the oat mixture to prepared baking dish. Arrange the remaining strawberries, blueberries and chocolate on top. Then pour the milk mixture over everything. Gently shimmy/shake the baking dish to help the milk mixture go throughout the oats.
  5. Bake 35 minutes or until the top is nicely golden brown and the milk mixture has set. For an extra tasty top, sprinkle a tablespoon of brown sugar over the dish. Serve warm.
Mixing the dry ingredients.
Ok, so maybe I used more strawberries and blueberries than the recipe called for :)

Do the shimmy shake!
Nom Nom Nom
This recipe probably took me less than 10 minutes to throw all together and it was so delicious! The best part about it is that you can mix it up any way you want! Wouldn't this be great with some peanut butter, honey, and bananas baked into it?? YUM!

Also, the oatmeal refrigerated surprisingly well. I simply reheated this dish in the morning and had it for breakfast 3 days in a row! Seriously, it was so good I plan on making it again this weekend :)

Hope everyone's week is a little less hectic than mine! If not, hang in there and know you're not alone!!!!

6 comments:

Mariposa said...

i am SO trying that asap! looks absolutely delicious!

Rachel said...

Wow, I'm not usually an oatmeal fan, but I think I'l have to try this over the weekend. Looks great!

Gail @ Sophisticated Steps said...

So, oatmeal is good for you...but I really don't eat it. (Bad Gail.) THIS however, looks pretty pretty tasty! IF my life slows down...b/c it's not just a hectic week...no, no, mine is a hectic life.....back to the original statement...IF my life slows down, I just might have to make this! :)

We can hang in there together. Ugh. Still want you to do that guest post! Bear with me. ;)

Kate said...

Oh it looks delish! I'll have to try! :)

Kimberly said...

I wish I had some right now (at 11:00 at night)!

daniwhitney said...

This looks delicious! (I realize I'm a little late on this post :) ) Did you use frozen berries or fresh?