photo Header_zps24cd14cd.png

1.09.2013

Break & File

bone that is.

It may be a little quiet around here these next couple days. I will be taking some time off from my regular job (blogging, duh) to nurse this stud back to health.
See, in most photos my husband doesn't smile his big, open-mouthed smile like the one in the picture above. These days all photos are taken with closed lips.  

That's because shortly after I relocated to Washington to be with Steven, he was told he needed corrective jaw surgery, which required a year of braces before the procedure could be performed.

So for our wedding, Steven was blinged out with these carats.


























It didn't bother me. Pretty much from the moment I laid eyes on Steven I decided he was the best looking man on the planet. My opinion hasn't changed one iota, braces or not. 

Steven basically has what's called an open bite, meaning the bone in his lower and upper jaws grew at different rates. When he bites down, the extra bone in the back of his upper jaw prevents his front teeth from closing. That extra bone needs to be removed. 
He has been rocking his braces for a little over a year. His teeth are now properly aligned and all that's left to do is break his jaw, cut out some bone, reposition his jaw to give him a proper bite, and then hold his newly positioned jaw together with plates and screws. 

No biggie...

Actually, I'm freaking out! I'm pretty sure breaking and removing bone doesn't feel good, and on top of that, a lot of his nerve endings in that area will be exposed. It's a scary feeling for me, and although he is the bravest man I know, no one likes the idea of being under anesthetics, so I know he's nervous (even if he won't admit it). 

So blogger friends, I'd love it if you kept Steven in your thoughts and prayers these next few days. 

I'm excited to see my handsome man smile his big, contagious smile when this is all over.

If you want to stay updated on his status (and my sympathy pains!), follow me on Instagram and Twitter

16 comments:

Sidney said...

I'm sure everything will go just fine! You'll definitely have sympathy pains but you two seem to be a pretty solid couple so it will over before you know it :) He'll be in my thoughts until it's over and so will you! Good luck :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, thoughts and prayers to both of y'all!!
I have had TMJ most of my life, due to teeth grinding, and though I know my pain doesn't compare to what Steven will experience, I can sympathize with how awful jaw pain is. {In the back of my mind, I'm terrified I'm in for jaw surgery one day. No fun!}

Best wishes for an easy, speedy recovery!
XO

Kendra said...

Oh my goodness that sounds terrible! I'm sure it will go well though, and I wish him a speedy recovery!

Corinne said...

Oh my goodness just looking at those images made my stomach squirm! I hope everything goes well - and having you there to help bring him back to health will definitely be helpful!

Cara said...

Oh man! That is a big surgery. I hope he feels better very soon and I'm sure it will go just fine!

Anonymous said...

Woah. I will keep you two in my prayers.

Callie {FirstComesLove} said...

I'll be thinking of you two! The thought of breaking bone and screws makes me queeeeezy. Do they take his braces off when he's in surgery? Or do they take them off after? Whoa, that would hurt.

But how awesome that he gets to get it over with and knock it out of the way so he can have his jaw right for the next 80 years :)

DJ said...

My boyfriend had to have jaw surgery five years ago and I was terrified, so I know exactly how you're feeling! Are they going to have to wire his jaw shut for a while?
Thankfully, everything went great, and besides the liquid diet for a while and the swelling for a little bit afterward, it was pretty simple, and he is good as new now. As a bonus, his smile is darn near perfect :)

k8te said...

oh my goodness, breaking the jaw sounds awful. (i'm aure it's more common than we think, i'm just a wuss!) i'll be keeping him in my thoughts, it'll all be worth it when it's done! good luck!

Kate Costello said...

Wow that does not sound fun at all!!! I'll keep you guys in my prayers and I hope it all goes well =)

Mrs Independent said...

I think my husband had the same deformity as a child. His parents were given the option of having him in braces for 7 years or he could have the surgery as an adult. They opted for the braces.

Sending good vibes and hoping the recovery goes smoothly!

Chelsea @ Lost in Travels said...

Oh no! I hope the healing process goes quickly and he'll be bling blingin that smile soon!

aimymichelle said...

gosh that would be horrible.

Jasmine said...

Best of luck to him (and you!) Hope all goes well (I'm sure it will).

Blinged chompers as a wedding accessory is pretty cool btw.

Holly said...

Crossing my fingeres for a VERY sucessfull surgery and a quick & healthy recovery! Thinking about you two!!

LWLH said...

Oooh that sounds horrible....I'll be thinking and praying for you.