photo Header_zps24cd14cd.png

9.05.2012

Homemade Dog Treats

Huckleberry wanted me to pass along his thanks for all the birthday wishes! He had a fun day filled with cuddling, chewing, chasing, and snacking on these homemade dog treats! 
This recipe is so simple and only requires 2 ingredients! Here's what you'll need:

  • 2 cups 100% organic whole wheat flour (for dogs with wheat allergies use wheat germ or rolled oats)
  • 2 (4oz) jars of pureed baby food (I used sweet potato, but any beef or chicken flavor would be good too. Just steer clear of onions and other ingredients that don't sit well with our furry friends. For a more extensive list of what foods dogs can and cannot have click here!)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the flour and pureed food together to form a stiff dough (if necessary, add a little water). Roll out the dough and use cookie cutters to form your desired shape. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cook for 20-25 minutes. Allow treats to cool completely before storing. 
Huck suspected that the sweet potato smelling goodness was for him and waited patiently right by the stove!
Not only did Huck love the treats, but there are so many other variations to try I don't think he could ever get sick of these as a snack! For more tasty homemade dog treat ideas go to Cesar Milan's site here! Or, if you've ever posted a homemade treat recipe on your blog leave the link below so myself and others can check it out!

Happy Wednesday, friends!

7 comments:

Michelle said...

I need to make these!

Anonymous said...

you have the sweetest puppy - so photogenic too! :)

Cara said...

I love this. Great post!

Lauran {The Real Young Housewife of Southern VA} said...

Ohhh I love this! Our Baby Reef will love them too!! We made him Pupcakes for his birthday! I may just have to post that recipe for all my furry friends!!

Danielle said...

Nice and easy! I've made a dew different types before and never had a problem with them being turned away. Dogs are so easy to cook for.

coreymarie said...

Did you taste them?!

AM said...

Great post, my dog is allergic to so many foods including wheat so I love the oats option!