photo Header_zps24cd14cd.png

9.06.2012

A Few Years Later

Sometimes the reality of where I am today in life hits me like a ton of bricks, leaving me breathless. I live in Washington. I'm married. I own a home. I have a full-time job...in my field, no less. They are all amazing and wonderful realizations, yet simply mind-blowing. Where I am today is exactly where I'm supposed to be, yet just a few years ago, I never would have envisioned this life for myself.

All through high school and college I had a strict plan for life and very rarely would I ever veer from that well-planned path. I've always been independent and strong-willed. I knew what I wanted and I went for it full force ahead. I planned. I set boundaries, deadlines, and schedules. I studied hard, worked harder, and saved every last dime to accomplish my future goals.  

I stressed a lot about my future and worried endlessly about every moot detail of my days. Whether it was school, work, roommates, bills --there was also something amiss and I never could grasp onto that peace and serenity I saw that others around me possessed. Or maybe it's simply that most of us are pro's at making others believe we have it all together. 

...and then I met Steven.

All this is to say that all my "plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion" truly were fruitless. I tried so hard to place the pieces of my life into my own master plan, but there was an entirely different journey I was met to take. And I am so thankful that I took it. The joy, satisfaction, and peace that has come from this journey is so overwhelming, and to think I could have passed it all by because I'm so stubborn and think my way is the best...that is a frightening thought. It's not peaches and cream all the time. Don't get me wrong, I still face plenty of struggles just like everyone else, but, for today, life is pretty damn good. 

Just thought I'd share what's on my heart and mind lately...

To read mine and Steven's love story and see why I am where I am today, click here

6 comments:

Cara said...

I love this picture by the lake. It is so sweet. I hope you have it framed somewhere.

I know exactly how you feel- I am the same way- always planning, planning, planning. Rarely do my plans ever really work out the way I wanted them to, but sometimes you just have to step back and realize that you are exactly where you are supposed to be and there is a reason and a purpose for all of it.

Beautifully written post! Happy Thursday.

Karla said...

That feeling is amazing right?! I love taking a second to look around and just be greatful about it!!

Lauren Nelson said...

Great post today! It's always nice to look back and be reminded that what we think is the best plan for us is usually not the case.

Kristin said...

Beautifully said. Isn't it funny how we think we have the "perfect" life planned out for ourselves? Yet here we are - on the opposite end of the spectrum from that "perfection" - and yet still so amazingly happy and fulfilled!

Vivian said...

Hope you and Steven can always live the life you wish. The perfect one for you and him. Happy to know you life is treating you GOOD!

Amanda* said...

Your blog is so cute and sweet! I did the opposite of you--I moved from Oregon to Florida for love :) I love Seattle! Can't wait to see more of your adventures.