photo Header_zps24cd14cd.png

3.27.2013

A Memory Jar

"I sometimes find, and I am sure you know the feeling, that I simply have too many thoughts and memories crammed into my mind...at these times...I use the Pensieve. One simply siphons the excess thoughts from one's mind, pours them into the basin, and examines them at one's leisure.
- Albus Dumbledore
I too have a Pensieve. A memory jar, if you will. It is filled with moments, big and small, that tell a story. Items that would be insignificant to anyone else, but that hold great meaning to me. From movie tickets to concert wrist bands, from brochures from our honeymoon to ticket stubs from the plane ride I took from D.C. to Washington that signify the start of my new life....I kept them all and look through them often.
It's important to keep tokens and stash them away. Our minds are amazing and wonderful tools, yet they tend to forget. As time goes on, the details fade. We need those visual cues to help us recreate the moment, to relive the excitement and laughter, to see again the color, life, and joy. 

With Steven, I've experienced some of the best moments of my life and I desperately want to hold on to each and everyone of them, so I store them away in my Pensieve (ahh, Harry Potter references always feel so good) to help me remember. I can't even tell you how many times I've reached my hand in there when I'm feeling sad or discouraged and pulled out happy memories that never cease to make me smile and restore my good humor. I'm so glad those moments I've spent with him will always be safe.

Tell me, do you have a Pensieve where your favorite memories are stored?
..................................
Speaking of special moments with people you love, today I want to introduce you to one of my lovely sponsors, Tiff, who has a very special moment in the making! She's the blogger behind My Smile Saga,    where you can find posts chronicling her intense jaw surgery and recovery process as well as her upcoming wedding! (Which is fast approaching in May!) On her blog you'll also find helpful meal plans for the week along with yummy, healthy recipes. So head on over there to meet this cute, bubbly girl next door and hopefully make a new friend! :)

13 comments:

Lauran {The Real Young Housewife of Southern VA} said...

Brilliant idea!!!! Im going to have to start this!!!

choose to be happy blog said...

i have one too!! in a mason jar. i might need to start a new one, im running out of space!

Anonymous said...

i might need to do this! such a cute idea!

Tamara said...

I've always kept a scrapbook, but I love this idea because you can take them out and touch them! Pinning this now!

Sarah Alway said...

I have a terrible memory, but this is such a great way to store memories!

Unknown said...

What a great idea Danielle. I think I am going to move all of my memories from a drawer into a mason jar!

Helene said...

I adore this idea!! so cool!

NotLizzi said...

I definitely need to steal this idea!
Especially considering the year I'm going through.
Great blog and a very good read.

notlizzi.blogspot.co.uk

Lizzi x x

Unknown said...

Yellie!!

Just wanted to let you know a few things... I miss the mess out of you! You are so beautiful and hilarious and I love reading your blog :) Secondly... I spent about an hour last night reading all of Huck's posts because I have a serious case of wanting a golden. He's adorable :)

Anonymous said...

I love this! We started a happy memories jar for 2013. Hoping to see it overflowing at the end of the year! ~ Michelle

LWLH said...

I love the idea of this memory jar! We keep all our old ticket stubs and wristbands in a old box of B's.

Tricia D said...

I just got back from a vacation and was looking for a cute new way to store the momentos I picked up there! I love this!!

Also, major props on the Harry Potter reference. Some things never get old.

Heather @ From Here to There said...

I absolutely LOVE this idea and since you quotes Albus himself, it's obvious I need a pensieve jar! :) Can't wait to get mine together!