photo Header_zps24cd14cd.png

9.05.2013

DIY: All Natural Carrot & Banana Dog Treats

I pinned this recipe months ago and completely forgot about it! But while searching for a yummy birthday treat to make Huck, I noticed a bag of organic baby carrots in our fridge and this recipe came rushing back to me. And what a hit it was! Huckleberry gobbled these snacks up in no time and begged for more!
Ingredients
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 bag organic baby carrots, pulsed into small pieces in blender
2 bananas, peeled and mashed or pulsed into small pieces in blender
1 beaten egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup cold water

The recipe also calls for 1 tsp brown sugar, but I left it out since the 2 bananas would make it sweet enough.
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease baking sheet.

Combine dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and then add the carrots, bananas, egg, vegetable oil, and water until well blended.
Flour your workspace and roll out dough to desired thickness. Cut treats to desired shape and size and place on baking sheet. Cook for 35 minutes.

If you want the treats to be more crisp instead of soft cookies, after baking turn off oven but leave them in for another 35 minutes to harden.
My dog bone cookie cutter is 4 in long, yielding about 40 dog treats. More than enough for Huck to take with him to daycare and share with all his furry friends!

At daycare he had a little birthday celebration with a cute sign, new scarf, and a ton of wet nosed fur babies waiting to get their chomps on these treats! (so glad they snapped a few shots to share with me!)
Man o' man, is he one spoiled pup or what?!?!
:)

10 comments:

Pamela said...

Love it! :) Thanks for the recipe!!

Sarah Alway said...

I would have a hard time giving these to the dog and not eating them myself, they look yummy!

Sarah @ Life As Always

Cait | Home Sweet Ruby said...

Your pup is SO cute!! I'm going to have to try this recipe, my dog has a sensitive stomach and can only eat natural treats like this! Thanks for sharing!

From Foothills to Fog said...

What a lucky boy! I would make these for Louis, but he HATES carrots. It's so funny. We'll put one in his bowl just to see, and he'll pick it up and spit it out on the floor! haha He's not a fan. So maybe I'll find a treat recipe for him without carrots. His birthday is in November.

The Whitfields said...

Oh my gosh that's too cute! He knows it's his birthday. Great idea to take treats to doggie daycare. Happy Birthday Huck!

Gail@Sophisticated Steps said...

No. You. Didn't.
Huck IS a spoiled pup! :) I better turn this blog off before Sasha gets any big ideas.

Seriously, if I had time, I would totally make those. Actually, my 10 year old daughter would make those in a heartbeat! (Quite the little baker she is...and puppy lover.) I'll have to show her these. That is, if I can get past the eye rolling of my husband for making treats for "the dog". Lol.

Happy chomping, Huck. I mean...swallowing whole...because we all know they inhale, not chew. ;)

Unknown said...

How long do these keep, thinking our furry friends would love for Xmas! I. Ziplock or tins... How long? Thanks!

shark3 said...

Just made our 2nd batch. Dogs love them! Instead of cutting them out, I mashed all the dough flat in a cookie pan. Using a pizza cutter, I cut them into "Liva-Snaps" size before baking. When cool they break apart easily. Thanks for the recipe. I took a pic of them just before cooking but don't see how to post. Hopefully people will understand what I mean!

Unknown said...

It is always suggested to consult with your veterinarian before changing any diet plan of your dog. Not every dog chew is suitable for every specie of dog. I have also consulted with many veterinary experts, most of them suggested that Pressed rawhide for dogs is good for their diet and grooming.

Unknown said...

My dog is my best friend loyal to the core and he deserves the very best treats. I normally prefer Organic Chews Food for him because Organic food and treat do not contain any artificial dyes, flavors, or colors. They are free of chemical additives and toxic pesticides that can be the root of all your dogs skin problems. Even better organic food and treats contain quality protein and grains the will help build your dogs immune system and build up a resistance to skin infections. By feeding organic food and treats you can help ensure your dog lives a long, healthy, and happy life.