photo Header_zps24cd14cd.png

5.06.2013

What I Do

The day 6 prompt reads, "If you couldn't answer with your job, how would you answer the question, 'what do you do'?" 

I express. I refine. I strive for simple, effective communication. I arrange. I persuade. I craft. 
As a technical writer, I do all of the above on a daily basis. I think I'm one of the lucky ones, because at the end of the day I can say my job is very rewarding. I love the feeling that once a document leaves my desk it's as close to perfect as it's going to get. I write, then I rewrite. I edit, then I reedit. I format, then I reformat. I go through every submission with a fine-toothed comb, striving for a thorough, direct, and professional execution. 

I can remember in college thinking how amazing it would be to get paid to write...and here I am. I may not be making money off of my works of fiction, but I believe this is a step in the right direction. 

At the end of the day, I'm writing, and that's really all that matters. 

16 comments:

Jasmine said...

Wow good for you for being able to do what you love! I hope to one day have a career I truly enjoy! :)

Jasmine said...

Wow good for you for being able to do what you love! I hope to one day have a career I truly enjoy! :)

Jasmine said...

Wow good for you for being able to do what you love! I hope to one day have a career I truly enjoy! :)

Jasmine said...

Wow good for you for being able to do what you love! I hope to one day have a career I truly enjoy! :)

Jasmine said...

I am so sorry I do not know how my comment got posted four times, man lol way to make myself look bad hahaha

Sarah Alway said...

You are so lucky you're doing what you love! I have a journalism degree and it was always my dream to get paid to write, too! So since I don't, I blog. :-)

Pamela said...

That's great that you truly do something that you LOVE! Not many people can say that!

Stephanie said...

Sounds like you truly love what you do, and that is awesome. I never realized how rewarding a career can really be until I started doing something I loved. Congrats to you :)

xo,
Stephanie

Lauren said...

Love this. I am also a writer and I like the way you captured your process. Seems like we have a similar approach! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

this is really sweet. so glad that you're doing what you love to do!

Heather Wambach said...

To be doing what you really want is amazing! I'd love if I could make a living off of writing anything.

Courtney B said...

You make me wish that my talent was writing!!
I'm so happy that you get to do what you love! Definitely a blessing!

Liz Luscomb said...

I remember holding my first royalty check and feeling truly happy.

Accomplished.

I'm terrible at grammar, but love writing. Go figure. I'm happy you are able to do what you love each day and I have zero doubt, that one day, you will hold your own work of fiction in your arms. Just keep working at it...until then, keep enjoying what you're doing each and every day. :D

Anonymous said...

You said it! The fact that you are writing and getting paid is just amazing. I admire you and hope I can say the same exact thing someday! :)

Megan said...

I didn't know that about you. I am also a technical writer, now editor. What magazine or publication do your work for?

Jeneric Generation said...

Okay, so now I am curious about your actual job. You are technical writer? Do you work freelance?

I love the way you described your job. It sounds like a lot of fun.My favorite part about writing is the rearranging, and perfecting.