photo Header_zps24cd14cd.png

12.15.2011

Doggy Daycare

Darnit! It is hard being a mommy. {Can't imagine when I have a human baby!} Steven and I decided that it would be beneficial to Huck's health, and my mental state, if we found a doggy daycare for him to go to a couple days a week while we're at work. He is just so hyperactive when I get home, and when I have other things I need to accomplish during the day, he makes it REALLY hard to get anything done. Also, it is a good thing for him to be "doggy socialized." 

Sooo, the research began and I found this great boarding kennel, which also offers doggy day care 7 days a week. They had amazing reviews, and after emailing the manager {yep, I did that} and bombarding her with crazy dog-owner questions, I decided we should give it a try. We dropped him off this morning and I really liked the facility. They have a nice sized "doggy corral" that has plenty of water and bunches of Huckleberry's favorite toys!  And after about 5 hours of play, they take each dog to its own 15x30 kennel where they can relax until it's time to go home. I was happy about this and filled out all the necessary paperwork..and then I felt sad and, I admit, slightly panicked. My poor little baby! What if the other puppies are mean to him? What if he doesn't remember me when I pick him back up? What if he thinks we abandoned him? I hope he isn't scared!!

But then I remembered the conversation Huck and I had about an hour before. It went a little something like this: "Huck, if the other pup's are mean to you--bite them, ok? You need to stand up for yourself." Ears perk up, head tilts--"And Huck, remember that momma loves you and she'll be back to pick you up very soon." Lifts paw to palm, moves closer--"Mommy and daddy love you very, very much, Huckleberry!" Stands up, tail wags, covers face with kisses.

He totally understands every word I say. {I think}

Ah, you think I'm crazy, huh? Well, just look at this face! Who wouldn't be irrationally in love with this guy?
...still feeling like a bad mommy, but I think he'll have fun. And HOPEFULLY, when I pick him up this evening, he'll be one pooped little pup!

13 comments:

amber said...

i absolutely believe that my dog understands the conversations i have with him. :]

Unknown said...

Huck is so freaking cute.
Your blog is great too.
I look forward to following your blog and watching Huck grow into a nice young man.
http://inthekitchenandonthecouch.blogspot.com/

Lindsay Nicole said...

Love this pic! Just came over from Story of my Life and am your newest follower! Look forward to getting to know you!

-Lindsay

www.lindzaynicole.blogspot.com

Kodi ODay said...

I am the exact same way!

When I had to take my little Bella to be fixed, I told her she was going to summer camp and she totally believed me! I even packed her a Betsey Johnson bag and everything. Needless to say, she wasn't real happy when I picked her up.

Love your blog and your doggie.
New follower!

<3kodi
imleavingmymark.blogspot.com

Maggie said...

So I found your blog through Jenni's and I have to say after reading this post, I believe I've found my blogging twin.

I had to cancel the 1st grooming appointment I made for one of our pups b/c I couldn't bear the idea of leaving her there. By herself. Without me or her "sister". Seriously. Medical attention is what I should get for Christmas :)

Definitely following! Please check me out too because as you know, followers and comments are pretty great!

I hope Huck did well!!

Amanda said...

Huck is adorable! I can't wait for the day that M and I get a pup of our own!

Irene said...

Awww Huck! That super cute and sweet face! :-)

So true, it is hard to be a mommy! But all the cuteness and the sweetness of our babies makes it all worth it! I think I'm crazy too... I always baby talk to my little Dave. :-)

Anonymous said...

I hope Huck's first day of doggy daycare went well! We've never left our pup at a daycare but the groomer's is more traumatizing for me than her. It's actually worse than dropping my son off at the babysitter's - at least he can tell me whether or not he's having fun, you know?

Heather said...

I love my dog so much too and it's always hard leaving her. Huck looks like such a sweetie.

Megan said...

Aaah, I love dogs! That is such a pretty puppy :) Soon I will have one of my own

sea to shining port said...

Haha, this is so true! Isn't it crazy you can spend hours with your dog, not even realizing he's not actually talking back to you? But there's so much communication! Alex and I keep talking about doggy daycare too, when he's out of town for work. Let me know what you think of it!

Caitlin

Gail@Sophisticated Steps said...

I just laughed outloud at your conversation with Huck.

And yes. He understands you.

I looove your blog....and I don't just go around sayin' that....just so you know. ;)

MaLee said...

I live in washington also. Bothell area and I'm not sure where you are at.. The lake and surroundings are throwing me off. I was wondering.. What doggie day care did you take Huck to? I have a 5.5 month old boxer who is the love of my life!! I'm just a crazy puppy mommy too!