photo Header_zps24cd14cd.png

7.19.2013

Live Life With No Regrets

Live life with no regrets. Easier said then done, right? At only 24, I could tell you numerous regrets I already have in this life --people I needlessly hurt, decisions I hastily made, words I have spoken far too quickly. I've learned that it is impossible to live life with no regrets. And those who say they have are either a) lying or b) have not experienced much growth. Because the truth is, as you grow and mature and reflect back on your life, you will find regrets. We all will. Some big, some small, but they're there.

One of my biggest regrets in life has been taking my family for granted. I've always had a great relationship with my parents and brothers, but once I was college bound, I simply couldn't wait to get away. Although my hometown was only a 3 hour (and very easy) drive from campus, I chose to only go  home on Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks. I stayed at school in the summer --worked and took a few classes here and there -- and rarely went home to visit my parents. When I was home, my evening were either filled with plans to hang out with my old high school friends, or I simply locked myself away in my room and buried my nose in a book.

I loved my parents so much, and, of course, I still do, but I took their proximity for granted. Now, living 3,000 miles away, I grimace when I remember how I sought time away from them. Time to "grow into my own." Whatever that means...

If there is one thing I've learned in these past two years while living in Washington, it's that you always need your parents. Always. You never outgrow them. You never reach an age where you are too old for their advice, you always find courage in their encouragement, pride in their support, and comfort in their hugs.

Or maybe my situation is just unique. I truly do have amazing parents, and I hope that you reading this can boast of that too.  My prayer is that I can be as influential over my children as my parents have been on me. Family is so important and I hope to live more conscious of mine, and never allow them to fall into the "regrets" category again.

9 comments:

Aunie said...

it's so refreshing to see you reflect on this. beautiful, actually. i'm in a similar boat. here's to living without those regrets!

Ashley Joy said...

"If there is one thing I've learned in these past two years while living in Washington, it's that you always need your parents. Always. You never outgrow them. You never reach an age where you are too old for their advice, you always find courage in their encouragement, pride in their support, and comfort in their hugs."

So true. I love this.
Have a good weekend!

Anonymous said...

I think "live with no regrets" is something that people often say without thinking about it, because it sounds nice. Like you said, we are all going to regret at least one thing.

Joey Hodges said...

What a great post, Danielle. You are right, without regrets there wouldn't be much growth. And even more right on the fact that we never outgrow the need for our parents.

Amber Marie said...

I completely agree! I was there, too. Now that my dad passed, I wish I would have gone out of my way to come home every chance I could. It makes me extremely sad when I see people not have a good relationship with their parents. I would have been, would be now, without their love and companionship.

Chelsea @ Lost in Travels said...

i really wish that i could say i have no regrets but that would e a big fat lie! i'm glad i made mistakes and i'm glad (as much as i can be) for regrets because like you said, that means i've lived, i've grown, it's made me into the person i am today. great post!

Jess Bourne said...

I agree. I actually think I talk to my mom more now living 3000 miles away then when we lived in the same state. I also think it makes you appreciate living in different places- you learn to enjoy where you are now for what it is.
Happy Friday!

Allie @ Between Dreams said...

I kind of hate the word "regret". I, too, have things in the past that were negative - I handled a situation poorly, I was unnecessarily cruel, I took people/life/my health for granted, this could turn into a pretty lengthly list...

But in the end, those are the things that made me, me. I learned lessons I would have never learned if I didn't make those "mistakes", I have even more gratitude than I ever would, those things I should "regret" made me stronger, wiser, and more able to love with my whole heart, right now. Because I see the beauty in simplicity, and I see how incredibly supportive the people I love are, regardless of whether I "took them for granted" in the past.

There's no use in regretting the past, because it's just limiting ourselves now. Instead of turning this around on yourself, and saying that you shouldn't have done those things, just enjoy what you have now. Because from the sounds of it, your relationship with your family is stronger than ever. THAT'S something to celebrate, in this moment. Regretting the past, I think, only takes away from that.

The only bad thing that could have happened, is that you didn't learn and grow from those experiences, which is clearly not the case because you are such a beautiful person, my dear :)

Corinne said...

I can completely relate to this and understand exactly what you're feeling. I went to college only 1 hour away and while I saw them, I didn't see them all that often. When I moved to PA to live with Russ reality struck, and it struck hard. I missed them so much! The next 3 years I spent soaking up every minute I had with them when we would travel back to MO. Now that I'm back I'm so thankful to have them in my life. In a way, I'm glad I had that time away because it only solidified and strengthened my love and friendship with them. I still pinch myself knowing I can see my Mom on the weekends!