photo Header_zps24cd14cd.png

6.04.2012

House Project 1

In my recent house tour post I left out photos of the master bedroom. Our room is a little quirky and we're not really sure what to do with a lot of it yet. One of the obstacles we've encountered is the closet. With it's odd layout, we are having trouble deciphering the best way to maximize the efficiency of the space. 

There are 2 big issues with the closet.

  1. We have a closet within our closet. I'm not lying. It is definitely the weirdest setup I've ever seen.
  2. Our water heater is in the closet within the closet. Taking up more storage space and leaving us with an even more odd layout.
Here's the view when you first open our closet.
Double mirror doors reveal a walk-in space with no shelving or any sort. The second door is not in the middle of the back wall either, leaving the left and right side of the closet uneven for shelving. The far right wall is not even either. The front portion is set deeper than the back portion.

Weird, right?
Inside the second closet is a longer, narrower layout. You can see on the left side is where the water heater is stored. So that space is completely used up. The right side has one rail for hanging clothes and one shelf directly above it.
Just some of my clothes are in this back portion of our closet and it's completely filled up. Steven and I want to make this space much more efficient before he moves in after the wedding. We have a tall five drawer dresser I plan on touching up with some paint and new handles and placing in this closet. Other than that, we really just have to rely on shelving units. 

Huckleberry's helping daddy with measurements :)

So what are your thoughts? Any ideas on how to maximize a small space? Have you had a similar problem with a closet? I know IKEA has some great storage options for small spaces, but I'd love to hear your ideas as well!

Hope you had a great weekend! 




9 comments:

Laura said...

What's funny is I was thinking "Ikea" the whole time and other than that I have no ideas except I would love to hear how this turns out. And a closet in a closet is kind of crazy, kind of cool...can't really choose which one ;)

Kelsie said...

depending on how wide the space to the right of the door to the second closet is, that would be a great area for some hooks for scarves or belts. In the second closet on the shelf I would put boxes with out of season clothes so that there is more room for your clothes to "breathe" while hanging.

hope this helps!

kelsiesbeautifullife.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Honey,
I think you need more shoes. That could possibly help.

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Honey,
I think you need more shoes. That could possibly help.

Love, Mom

poptartyogini said...

That is a very strange setup. You're brave to take on your own projects. I either live with it or save up until I can pay someone. Ikea can solve all problems.

Kelly { MessyDirtyHair } said...

I work in real estate and have never ever seen anything like that. I'd take the door off and have it be one long closet.

tiff@thecoffeehouse said...

that's a closet??? that looks like my entire bedroom.

Kasey said...

just found your blog and thought I'd say hello :):) I love that your dog's name is Huckleberry, that is TOO cute!! Jealous of your big closet too :P

Sarah said...

1. I love that Huck is helping, too cute.

2. Yes I vote IKEA. Maybe some sort of storage unit on the wall before the second closet...I'm picturing a boxed unit where you could put folded items. Let us know what you decide on!