photo Header_zps24cd14cd.png

8.22.2014

Jack | 6 Months

I cannot believe my baby turned 6 months old last week. SIX MONTHS. How is that even possible.. 
Little Jack has experienced a lot of new things this month and has grown so much! 
He's such a fun little boy to hang out with.
6 month old Jack loves...
his dino paci
Huckleberry and Herschel
being outside
playing with his toys
rocking
music
reading books
6 month old Jack dislikes...
nap time
when his momma leaves the room
Health: No wellness checkup until next Thursday, but I'm so thankful to say Jack Jack is one healthy boy! He even survived two cross-country flights without getting sick. I pray every day for God to provide a hedge of protection around this little one and am so grateful for his good health. I'll update with his height and weight after his next checkup.

Food (Nursing): Jack is still nursing every 2 1/2 to 3 hours during the day, translating to about 6 times a day. He has been pretty consistent with that for the last few months. He has been waking up more at night to nurse but I know it's due to him teething (he just cut his third tooth and is cutting three more! Poor buddy!), and I usually comfort nurse him until he drifts off to sleep. I don't mind. I genuinely enjoy our nursing relationship and know I'll miss it when he weans himself.

Food (Solids): Jack got his first tastes of solids on Sunday Aug. 10th! You could definitely tell that the new texture was a little strange for him, but we gave him carrots and I think he really liked them after a few bites! Since then he's tried bananas, sweet potatoes, and avocado. After that first week of solids though he has been very uninterested in anything but nursing. I'm not sure if he isn't a fan of the new food or if his disinterest has to due with his teething since I know that often plays a role in a little one's appetite. Either way, I offer him solids at least 2 times a day even though he really isn't thrilled with it.

Sleep: When Jack came to NY with me for two weeks his schedule (and sleeping habits) got a little wacky. Since getting back, I've been working really hard at trying to be consistent with a sleeping schedule for him. He goes to bed for the night at 7-7:30 and usually wakes at 6-6:30. Two nights ago was the first night I put him in his crib to sleep rather than in bed with me. My heart broke a little bit, but it didn't last long because after an hour he awoke very upset and I gladly put him in my bed and snuggled him all night. ;) I know!!! I am a terrible human being with no backbone. For naps, he pretty consistently takes 3 naps a day.

Doesn't that sound lovely? Well, it's not. Jack fights me tooth and nail for naps and bedtime. He does not want to go down (especially in his crib!). It's hard, and many days we both end up with tears of frustration. I give in and allow him to nod off in my arms where I'll continue to hold him for as long as he'll nap (usually an hour to an hour and a half) or put him in my bed if it's nighttime.  But I really don't think it's his crib that's the problem.. I think it's just sleep in general. While in NY, Jack slept in a different bed from night to night, but he never slept in my arms for naps. But as soon as he gave me those sleepy cues and I would try to put him down the tantrums would begin. He is a happy, alert, and curious baby most of the time and my gut is telling me he's just fighting sleep because he doesn't want to miss anything. When he does finally go down he is SOOO exhausted. He simply just cannot fight it anymore. I feel like he's going to be one of those kids that goes, goes, goes until he passes out on the floor surrounded by all his toys.

It's not ideal, but this too shall pass ;)

New this Month: So much! Jack has really discovered his voice and gives many squeals (or screams) of delight. He laughs, a lot! Huckleberry's panting always seems to bring a giggle fit out of him. He's ticklish on his sides and inner thighs. He loves playing with his toys (or anything really. toy or not). He likes music and especially when people sing to him. He is trying so, so hard to crawl and can get up on all fours and then rock back and forth. I think it will just be a few more weeks until he figures it out. He holds up his arms towards you when he wants to go to you or for you to pick him up. He has learned that when he hears the jiggle of Huck's collar that Huck is walking his way and looks for him in anticipation. It's so stinkin' cute! Started solids (carrots, bananas, sweet potatoes, and avocado). 1 new tooth (top, right lateral incisor), that makes 3 total! Flew all the way to NY and back and was a CHAMP on both flights. Such a good little traveling companion. :)
Happy 6 months, little man!
You are growing and learning so quickly!
You make each new day exciting and fresh. 
I feel so blessed to be your momma!
Love you, Jack Jack!

7 comments:

Karina Marie Powell said...

Such a baby babe! That first picture kills me. Happy 6 months little dude!!

Marquis Clarke said...

He is precious!!!

Jessica said...

He is just perfect! Hope sleep gets better for you guys! I always tell myself this too shall pass or it won't be like this for long!

Holly said...

Happy half birthday, Jack! Ellie was the same way with sleep ... she slept in her bouncy chair for naps until she outgrew it, then she only wanted to sleep on me. I used the carrier a lot, it was the only way I could get anything done!

jess said...

what a sweet boy! So cute that he really discovered his voice this month! Love the hair swoosh, so precious!

The Girl who Loved to Write said...

His little smirk is just so precious!

Ashley said...

Look at all his hair!! Wow!! Babies are a lot easier to travel with at this point I found at least with Noah!! Noah fights naps like it's his job! I often think it is his job!! We are just hitting teething time! No fun!