1.05.2013

Saturday Feature

Today I want to introduce you to a lovely blogging friend of mine who if you don't already know, you should definitely get to know real soon! Like today. Like right now. 

Cara's the girl behind the blog, In Search of Sunshine. Her posts are fun, witty, and full of adventure. Not too long ago she resided in Seattle with me, but she recently packed up her bags to move back to her home state, California. 

Oh yeah, she also owns the cutest Golden Retriever named Bosley. 'Nuff said. 
To find out more about Cara, read the Q&A below and then go visit her here!
........................................... 
How did you start blogging?
 I had been reading blogs for several months and always loved the idea of having one of my own. I told Evan I was going to start one and a few months later, I did. I think the best piece of advice I read was to contact a designer right off the bat and start with a great design, even if you are the only one reading it for a while. I guess you could say I got started like everyone else- no followers and no idea what I was doing. You really learn a lot by reading other blogs and figuring out your style and voice.
What does a typical day look like for you?
I work from home and travel to Seattle or Portland every other week for work. When I'm working at home, I usually get up with the dog and take him on a short walk in the morning and then Evan leaves for work. Once we get home from our walk, I work most of the day, usually just taking a short break for lunch (sometimes I take Bosley on his longer walk over lunch). After work, Evan and I spend time watching our shows, going on walks and having dinner together. We are pretty beat after work and really just like to relax and spend time together. 

When I travel for work, it is a little more fast paced! I take Bosley home to my parents' house in Sacramento and fly out of Sacramento to Seattle/Portland. I am in the office most of the day and then back at the hotel at night. After work, I usually try and catch up with friends, go to the gym or just relax at the hotel by myself. It is nice to catch up on me time when I'm traveling and the week always goes by really fast!
You recently moved to California. What's your favorite/least favorite thing about the Bay Area?
Least favorite is definitely the parking! I don't move my car for a week only because I know that it will take me 20 minutes to find another spot. We walk or take a cab everywhere. We are lucky enough to live in a fun neighborhood with plenty of restaurants, stores and parks close by. Evan can walk to work or BART so his commute is pretty easy. My favorite thing about the Bay Area (besides the weather, that is a given) is that there is always a new place to try. There are so many things to see and new, fun things to try. I also love how close we are to both of our families now.
Bosley is so adorable! Any tips for new puppy owners?
- Invest in pet insurance! I know it seems silly (and expensive) but you will be glad you did. We just had to take Bosley to the emergency vet, on a holiday, for some serious stomach problems, and it was such a relief to know that all of the medical costs (it was a very steep bill) would be covered. 
- Crate training will save your life. It gives you peace of mind when you have to leave the house or be away from the puppy for more than 5 minutes. They learn that it isn't punishment and most of the time, love being in the crate. Bosley still sleeps in his crate. 
- Chew toys! Invest in some quality, hard chew toys so that you don't come home to chewed table legs and shoes. 
- Take lots of pictures! They grow up really fast.

3 comments:

Robin said...

I will check out her blog. :) I appreciate the puppy tips since we are bringing a new one home later this month.

Kimmie @ Sugar and Dots said...

Such a sweet post! You are ADORABLE!! Just wanted to say hi. :) Stopping by from Sugar and Dots. Have a wonderful first weekend of 2013! XO

Elisa of Fancy Free Me said...

I've been holding off on hiring someone to make my blog look like a million bucks. It's nice to hear I don't need to wait for 1k followers to pull the trigger. Thanks for the advice!