7.05.2012

Wedding Guest Post #4: Meet Andrea!

To finish off my wedding week guest posts, I've asked Andrea to give some last minute marriage advice! After today, I will be MIA for quite sometime with the wedding this Saturday and the honeymoon ahead. I'll be back though, no worries! So here's Andrea! Hope you enjoy!
............................................
Hey, there! I'm Andrea, from Left brain, right brain, pug brain.

I'm an aspiring fiction author, wife to an engineer and proud dog-momma to TWO cute puggles. 
In just a month my husband, Ryan, and I will be celebrating our second anniversary.
After two years of marriage, part of me feels old and wise and ripe with wisdom.
The other part of me feels like I have no stinking clue what I'm doing.

(Hint: this is probably the part that is correct)
But, for what it's worth, here's what I've learned about marriage thus far

(and also, some pictures from our big day, because pictures make everything more exciting).


1. Even if you already spend a lot of time together, dedicate time to go out on planned date nights. The effort makes it extra special.


2. But as un-romantic as it sounds, sometimes you just have to treat your marriage like a business. Don't make decisions that affect the business without consulting your business partner.

(Preferably via official work memo...just kidding!)

3. Everyone always says don't go to bed angry, but sometimes it happens. Don't beat yourself up! If it happens, just apologize in the morning once you've had time to sleep it off.



4. Don't let the little irritations of living together build up. I stink at cleaning up the kitchen,

and Ryan hates when I leave dirty pans on the stove. I try my best to remember to clean,

and he tries his best to remember that I'm trying :)



5. Know how your personalities differ. Ryan's outgoing; I'm a homebody. Embrace your

differences and try to compromise when you can.



6. Set separate monthly allowances. That way, when you want to buy that sweet

pair of shoes or he wants to go out for drinks with his dudes, there's no arguing about

whether or not it's a good use of your shared money.



7. Always  buy separate cartons of ice cream (or chocolate, or whatever your vice may be). Some things just can't be shared.



Congratulations to Steven and Danielle!

I hope your wedding day was wonderful...

(and I hope you received some martial advice that's more helpful than my own!)

Here's to decades of happiness!

8 comments:

jes @ twosmuppies said...

Just came by from Andrea's! Loved this guest post.
Yay for PACNWers and congratulations!

Andrea D said...

I just realized (okay, my husband pointed out) I made an enormous spelling mistake. And I HATE spelling mistakes. MARITAL advice, not martial advice, hahaha. I'm so ashamed :|

Megan said...

Great Advice!! I never thought about the seperate budgets for the little things,and seperate ice creams!!

Asilia said...

Someday, when I get married, I will ensure that there are always separate cartons of ice cream. As long as I get my fair share, plus some of his, of course, I think I can be happy.

Ashley said...

Love the advice! Useful, and delivered with a sense of humor!

Kat said...

Hi there! I found you on Bloggers Coast to Coast and I'm now following you! I look forward to reading more! Come on by and check out my blog! I would appreciate the follow back! Have a great weekend!
-Kat

http://mom-uncensored.blogspot.com

Allie Todd said...

Planning dates is so soo sooooo important! Sometimes when real life happens, you forget to get dressed up, put on some make-up, and look your best.

Going on dates makes things extra-special, and is a good way to really focus on each other... and not the TV, or the phone, or whatever else is around when you're just lounging at home!

Good advice :)

Catherine said...

Good advice.

Best of luck!!

Catherine
FEST (food, style & travel)