5.22.2012

Not Your Average Sloppy Joe

Don't you hate when you have meat in your fridge and you have no idea what to do with it? You stress and stress over it everyday because you know if that slab isn't cooked soon it will be WASTED! And you, friend, do not like to waste food. So you nervously bite your lip and tap your fingers on the counter thinking how in the world am I ever going to make something edible out of this meat! 

Okay, maybe it's just me...

I am not a natural cook. I don't walk into the kitchen and simply whip something spectacular up. I research recipes, follow them to a tee, and still manage to some how mess the dish up. 

A few days ago, Steven took some ground turkey out of the freezer and said, Hey babe, you should cook this sometime this week. Naturally, I pretended like I didn't hear him. Ground turkey?? What the what is that?? And so there the turkey stayed. Until last night on my way home from work when Steven said, Hey, are you going to cook that turkey? If we don't soon it's going to be WASTED. Like a dagger in the heart! WASTED! Wasted food is such a pet peeve of mine. I mean seriously, folks, don't buy more than you can chew. There are so many that go without...

But let's save that rant for another day.

So there I am. Staring into the fridge with a massive ground turkey dilemma. Frantically I tore through the fridge and grab all the vegetables I had. One onion and two green bell peppers. I diced them, threw them on the skillet, and then dropped the ground turkey on top. {Without touching it of course. I don't touch uncooked meat. It's kinda an issue.} And then it hit me! A TURKEY SLOPPY JOE!

Ingredients: 
ground turkey
onion
bell pepper
worcestershire sauce
cheddar cheese
salt 
pepper

Directions:
Threw all the above ingredients into a skillet and cook on medium heat for, ERRR let's say 30 minutes? Add the worcestershire, cheese, salt, and pepper to taste. 
And there you have it! A healthier version of the sloppy joe! Steven loved it. Like thought it was the best thing I've ever prepared kind of love. 

That makes me laugh. If only he knew how truly clueless I am in the kitchen. I'm sure when we're married he'll discover the truth real quick! ;)

10 comments:

Cara said...

Haha nice! Boys are so easy to please. They will eat just about anything.

Jenn said...

I don't like Sloppy Joe's but your version looks delish! I'm going to have to try it :)

Miss Jewells said...

Looks delicious! We eat ground turkey all the time; it's pretty much become a substitute in our house - burgers, tacos, sloppy joes! I'll have to try something like this sometime!

Nicole said...

This looks so good. I'll have to try it. I kind of love ground turkey. Yum!

Laura said...

Very yum! Good job! I've never made anything with ground turkey but it's such a great substitute for beef!

Jamie said...

Yumm! Those look amazing :)

Anonymous said...

"what the what" lol
What? You always make me smile.

Miss You!! MOM

thecoffeehouse said...

oh delish. I love sloppies. and your pictures of food are much better than mine. I'm going to try to copy yours next time.

Meghan G said...

I am for sure gonna try this. i am not a huge ketchup/sloppy joe fan so this seems perfect.

cynthia said...

I do not touch raw meat either (if I can help it). Interestingly I am much more OK with beef of any kind (ground or steaks or roasts).
Raw chicken, though? Barf.

Looks like you pulled that meal off, nice job. :)