3.22.2012

Animal Cruelty (Viewer Discretion is Advised! -- This Post is Hard to Stomach)


Today on my way to work I heard this horrific story about how a man brutally attacked his neighbor's dog with a hatchet.  Apparently, the man had had enough of the dog's barking and decided to take matters into his own hands. He lured the pup into his yard with dog treats laden with rat poison and then proceeded to beat the dog with the hatchet right in the head. Thankfully, another neighbor heard the dog's cries and immediately called 911. 

When the police arrived they found the dog tied up to a pole in the neighbor's garage. He was covered in blood. His skull was fractured in multiple places, he had a broken jaw and blood filled eyes. There was barbed wire tied around his neck. After they obtained a search warrant, they discovered further evidences of this man's cruelty --bloody and fur covered hammers, pliers, garbage bags, and other tools... 

Writing this post makes me feel physically ill. How could anyone be so cruel? I feel so sickened by this man's actions I could vomit. Right now it's hard for me not to cry while sitting here at my desk. 

Guess what, people! Dogs bark! Oh yeah, and did you know that baby's cry!!! And birds shit on your car! Sure, let's be honest --it can be annoying at times. Patience, understanding, reason, self-control, gentleness, DECENCY --these things are all virtues. We are not born with them. We have the right to get impatient, frustrated, even downright angry sometimes, but to go as far as to inhumanely brutalize a dog FOR BARKING is simply outrageous and completely unacceptable.

Does this man have a family? Children? Grandchildren? Animal cruelty has been proven to lead to attacks on humans. In my opinion, this man's $20,000 bail was not justice. Who's next when he has another outburst? What if it's a child?

And what makes my heart more heavy is that the attacked pup, Kona, is a Golden Retriever just like my Huck. Probably one of the most gentle, trusting breeds out there.

If you'd like to hear the story yourself you can find it here or simply google "neighbor attacking dog in Orting, Wa," the story is everywhere. 

I apologize for such a heavy post and I'm sorry if the content has upset you. Even if you aren't a huge animal lover like myself, I'm sure the sick feeling consuming me right now has made its way into the pit of your stomach too.

I'll leave you with photos of Huck to lift your spirits.
 Love my pup! And my mom's crazy pups too!
 Jackson
Maddie

17 comments:

Britney @ twenty-somethingwife said...

First thing that I am doing when I get home is hugging and kissing Winston. (Husband will come second today.)

I am Megan said...

It makes me so fucking angry. Excuse my french. I hate people who are so inhumane to hurt defenseless animals. They can't do anything to protect themselves against a brute like this guy.

The other day I came across The Patrick Miracle on facebook, and I watched a video on it on youtube. I was in tears. Seriously, I wouldn't recommend people with kind and sensitive hearts to watch it. I want to post about it too, but I'm too scared to expose people to it.

We must do everything we can, wherever we can to stop things like this!

Anonymous said...

Kona lives 3 houses down from me. He is a beautiful dark golden, just like my Simon. This means also that the psychopath who nearly killed Kona lives 4 houses away from me. Simon always stays inside when I'm gone, but naturally goes out in our fenced back yard to potty and play several times a day. And now I'm terrified to let him out of my sight! And if I ever see the man who beat Kona...

Kristin said...

I cannot understand why people feel the need to brutalize animals in this way! I feel it is only right if someone (me) goes after this a**hole with a hatchet and see how he likes it. An eye for an eye! I would do anything to protect my animals or someone else's. I wish that the law cracked down on these people with harsher punishment. Such as death penalty or life imprisonment.. I could go on.. but I am sure you catch my drift. I am a huge supporter of animals as well! My black lab Daise and my other fur babies (kitties) Sadie and Sophie say a BIG 'HI' to Huck and his Mama! Add a little extra hug in there too..for our precious fur-babies. =)

Michelle P said...

People can be so cruel. I'll never understand!

Nicole Marie said...

that just brought me to tears. how can he be so cruel!

Angie said...

My Diesl boy is a barker. He's inside during the day/while I'm away, but outside when I'm home...and he barks...a lot. And I know that it's annoying, and I do the best I can to control it, but he's a dog, he barks. I try to be courteous to my neighbors, but I swear to goodness graciousness, if ANYONE did ANYTHING to harm him... Blahhhh...makes me sick to think about what that man did. Thank you for sharing Danielle!

eachdayinthislife.blogspot.com

Kayla @ Keepin' Up With the Klaassens said...

Im in tears after reading that. I wish they would make them feel the pain they cause these animals that they so cruelly beat and kill. I don't understand why the punishment isn't worse for animal cruelty.

Samantha said...

So sad :( I don't understand people! I love animals so much and sure they get annoying but you can't treat them like that!

Cara said...

That is terrible. Who would hurt a Golden? They are such gentle dogs and I can't even imagine how scared that poor dog was. Those people should be punished by someone doing to them exactly what they do to these animals. Disgusting.

Jessica said...

Wow that is absolutely ridiculous. I have no words and am full of disgust for a human who could do something like that to an innocent animal. My heart goes out to the pup and it's family.

Nancy said...

Oh My - these people who torture earths gentle animals should be severely punished. I read recently a cute sign that said that there are only 2 things who give undying love - one is God and the other is a dog. We recently had a man tie his dog to his bumper and drive up route 81 for about 60 miles. the dog was alive when the police stopped him but they had to euthanize the dog. Can't imagine the intense pain that poor dog suffered along the way.

AM said...

So sad. Something has to be done to stop all this animal cruelty. The news here in Philadelphia always seems to be reporting some sad story about an animal abuse case. The punishment must be much tougher on these psychopaths or else they will just keep doing it. Why not torture them in the same fashion they tortured the animal, seems harsh but maybe it will make others think twice. There is something really wrong with our society when a barking dog sets off any one like that. How I wish we could save every dog from these monsters.

Tyah Ferguson said...

Oh my!!! This is insane, and sad, and horrifying, and awful!!! I am squishing my cute furbaby's face!!!

Allie Todd said...

Oh my goodness! :( This is absoultely horrifying and puts big fat knots in my stomach.

Animals are the most innocent creatures, I don't understand how anybody could EVER want to cause any sort of harm to them. I feel like this kind of treatment is against human nature.

People like him should not be allowed to be near animals. Or babies. Or other people in general.

At times like this... I like to put my trust in Karma.

Gail @ Sophisticated Steps said...

Some people are sick. That's just awful. I feels so sad for the family. :(

My Sasha can be a handful (for me personally), but how I love her!

Let's go hug our pups.

Roxy said...

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh, I want to scream and cry it makes me so furious!
And I know this will put me in a very bad light but I don't think I would hesitate to brutally hurt the people who do that. I would do to them exactly what they did to their dogs. If they starved them I would starve them, if they poured scalding hot water on the dog I would do the same. I have no heart for people who abuse animals. They can't defend themselves you sick fucks!!! Try someone your size and someone who will give it back to you and then let's see what comes out of it. Fucking Psychos!

I apologise for the outburst but I just don't understand. Recently I've been following this story, it's a happy one in the end: http://sosbokserom.com.pl/index.php/pl/component/psy/?task=pokaz&pies_id=991

it's in Polish but the pictures speak for themselves. Someone was starving her, she was taken away, she had very slim chance of survival, yet she did.

I hate people when I read stories like that. We can be horrible, cruel creatures. It makes me really sad.