1.19.2012

Tuna Patties

I like good ole' fashion juicy, greasy handburgers. I could probably eat a hamburger once a day and never get sick of it! But my waistline has shown me that it's time to face the facts --it's just not healthy to eat a hamburger 7 days a week. {I know big shocker, right?} So, in my search to find a healthy hamburger alternative that doesn't involve ground veggies {GROSS!} I ran across this tuna patties recipe. I'm sure you've heard of Elise's blog Simply Recipes, and if not you're missing out! 

This recipe is SOOO simple and literally took about 20 minutes from start to finish. 

This is what you'll need:
  • 2 6-ounce cans tuna
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • **1/2 cup white bread torn into small pieces 
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp water (or liquid from the cans of tuna)
  • 2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives, green onions, or shallots
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • A couple squirts of tabasco
  • 1 raw egg
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon butter
**Instead of the white bread crumbs, I used Panko bread crumbs that were Parmesan Herb flavor (pictured below). It really gave the patties a kick of flavor!
1 Drain the liquid from the tuna cans. If you are using tuna packed in water, reserve a tablespoon of the tuna water, and add a teaspoon of olive oil to the tuna mixture in the next step.
2 In a medium bowl, mix together the tuna, mustard, torn white bread, lemon zest, lemon juice, water, parsley, chives, and hot sauce. Sprinkle on salt and freshly ground black pepper. Taste the mixture before adding the egg to see if it needs more seasoning to your taste. Mix in the egg.
3 Divide the mixture into 4 parts. With each part, form into a ball and then flatten into a patty. Place onto a wax paper lined tray and chill for an hour. (You can skip the chilling if you want, chilling just helps the patties stay together when you cook them.)
**I didn't chill mine at all and they stayed together quite nicely!
4 Heat the olive oil and a little butter (for taste) in a cast iron or stick-free skillet on medium high. Gently place the patties in the pan, and cook until nicely browned, 3-4 minutes on each side.
Bon Appetit! We ate these without a bun, but we still put a piece of cheese on top! It was delish! Steven loved them and said that he would eat these instead of a hamburger any day of the week! SUCCESSSSS! But hey, if you aren't a tuna fan, I understand. 

Hope everyone is having a great week thus far! I'm experiencing my second adult snow day! :) No complaints from me!

5 comments:

Jayme and Mendi said...

Yummm, I'm digging the looks of these! I can't get my super picky eater Hubz to eat tuna to save my life. But on the positive side, I can have these babies ALL to myself! ;)

Just found your blog through Jenni over at Story of My Life. So funny to see that you went to school in Lynchburg. I'm from Richmond, but lived in L'burg for about 4 years, before moving back home. How ironic to stumble across your blog & to have L'burg in common (ya know, it's quite a small little place). Loving your blog & catching up on old posts. Congrats on the recent engagement! The proposal story made me laugh...thanks for keeping it real!

I'd move to Washington state if I could live in a cute little cottage along a lake. So adorable! And Huck is just the icing on the cake!!

I look forward to getting to know you better!

Mendi @ Her Late Night Cravings

Meghan Goheen said...

These look pretty darn good. I made grilled tuna quesadilla last night. Funny how we both did tuna. Anyway you can check out my simple very simple recipe here
http://inthekitchenandonthecouch.blogspot.com/

Daisy said...

I have never heard of Tuna patties, sounds good!

Alycia (Crowley Party) said...

this seriously looks super yummy! and a healthier option than real burgers! loving your blog.

Michelle (michabella) said...

YUM!! Def going to try these :)