1.31.2012

Oatmeal Pancakes

Sorry for my lack of posts yesterday. I woke up at 2am with that sore throat, achy body kind of sickness. It wiped me out for the entire day. Poor Huckleberry didn't understand why his mommy wouldn't get out of bed to play with him :(  ...But I'm feeling better today and wanted to share an awesome recipe my fiancĂ© {oh, how I love saying that} and I tried this weekend! 

Steven and I are BIG breakfast eaters. EGGS, BACON, SAUSAGE, FRENCH TOAST --we love it all! We also love pancakes, but it's something I don't make very often because any way you try to slice it, pancakes simple are not a healthy way to start your day. All that white processed flour, sugary maple goodness, and warm butter --yeah, not good for you! So, when I came across a healthy pancake batter alternative I was very excited to give it a try. Here's what you'll need.

6 eggs whites
1 cup rolled oats, dry
1 cup cottage cheese
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla 

In a blender, blend all ingredients until smooth. Heat a griddle or large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray. For each pancake pour 1/4 cup of batter onto griddle. Flip when they start to bubble. Cook until golden brown. Repeat with remaining batches, spraying the griddle as needed. Makes about 10 pancakes.

{Hopefully, I didn't insult you with those directions. I'm quite certain you all know how to cook pancakes...}
I know the recipe sounds a little funky, but honestly these were DELICIOUS! And for all of you who aren't huge fans of cottage cheese, I promise you cannot even taste it in these pancakes! The do taste rather "eggy" though. So, if you don't like eggs that would be weird you probably wouldn't like this recipe. 


Hope you enjoy!

10 comments:

Meghan Goheen said...

Too funny. I did cinnamon pancakes this weekend too, but mine were the fatty kind.
I will have to try yours. they look great
http://inthekitchenandonthecouch.blogspot.com/2012/01/from-ho-hum-to-yum.html

Bon Bon said...

YUM! We are big breakfast/brunch people on the weekends:-) Nothing better than a lazy morning eating pancakes! xoxo

sea to shining port said...

So good!!! Yay, I'm making these this weekend :)

Caitlin

Daisy said...

It sounds delicious!

Michelle (michabella) said...

Ooooo I MUST try these!

{av} | {long distance loving} said...

clearly I need to make these--I'm a breakfast lover too! now I'm craving pancakes....thanks ;) so happy to have stumbled on your blog! hope you have a great week! xoxo {av}

Vivian said...

Yum!! And healthy!! I eat both but never thought about putting them together. Thank you for sharing this!

Janine said...

those look delicious. i've been looking for a new pancake recipe. i'm bored of the normal one i've been using.

Rustic Living said...

I've tried this before! and it IS really good :) Great post

melanie said...

mmmm those look delicious!